It comes in two parts - the casserole, and the bread-crumb topping.
Chicken Broccoli Rice Cheddar Casserole (serves 4 adults)
- 4T butter, divided
- 1.5c dry rice, cooked per package directions (~3c cooked)
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4c minced onion (~1/2 small onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1.5c frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2c grated cheddar
- 1/2c whole milk
- Crumb Topping, as listed below
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Begin cooking rice.
- Meanwhile, combine chicken, garlic, onion, salt & pepper in bowl.
- Create crumb topping as listed below.
- Over medium heat, melt ~2T butter in large dutch oven.
- Add chicken mixture and cook approx. 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add marjoram, parsley, and broccoli. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through. Add more butter as needed.
- When rice is cooked, add to cooked chicken. Stir.
- Add cheddar cheese and milk. Stir until cheddar is melted in and mixture is well blended.
- Transfer mixture to 2 quart casserole dish, cover with crumb topping and heat in oven until topping is lightly browned or crisped ~10-15 minutes.
- (Optional) Any remaining butter or extra cheddar cheese may be used over crumb topping.
Combine the following in food processor and blend until bread and crackers are crumbled:
- 2 slices bread
- 1/2c cheddar goldfish
- 1/4c grated parmesan
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 1/4tsp paprika
- 1/4tsp black pepper
- dash cayenne (optional).